Well, we've been flitting around it for more than a year (Peter first showed interest in the potty at about 18 months; he turns 3 in two weeks)... and today, finally, I am officially potty training Peter. Basically, he's running around half-naked all day, so if you were planning on visiting me, you may want to wait. :)
He's done superbly so far... and after his nap, he'll be wearing his Thomas the Tank Engine underwear and hopefully keep them dry. (If he doesn't, it's back to nakey-time, bwahahaha.)
Potty Training a la Jocelyn (casually for the last 1.5 years; seriously for the past 6 hours):
- Perspective: For us, poopy diapers weren’t half as stinky as all the potty-training drama (hence why we waited until Peter—and Mommy, haha—were both FULLY ready to train… because of several previous major dramatic meltdowns. I decided I’d rather be SANE than have Peter diaper-free for a while.)
- Optimism: I accomplish a lot every day, considering I congratulate Peter for going on the potty with extreme enthusiasm... I should be cheering myself on more! I go to the potty, I wash my hands, I even put on my own shoes, make my own food, change diapers, and take care of all the little (and sometimes big) people around me. (Ok, I DO deserve some props!)
- Treats: Thomas the Tank Engine stickers and butterscotch chips can get a 3-year-old boy to do almost anything.
- Tunes: Elmo’s Potty Time video rocks. Accidents do indeed, happen. And everyone DOES learn to use the potty! Oh those profound songs... (which get stuck in my head all day; mixed in there with all the Thomas the Tank Engine songs... ahh!)
- Yaw: Even little boys do the potty dance (which I thought was just for mommies?) when they’re not wearing a pull-up, AKA safety net.