Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Birthday


This month has been full of birthdays. First Peter, then Jeremy, and today is my mom's birthday. Happy Birthday, mom! Here are some of my favorite quotes on motherhood, all of which I feel apply to my very dear mother:

"All that I am or ever hope to be, I owe to my angel Mother."
-- Abraham Lincoln (1809-1865)

"By and large, mothers and housewives are the only workers who do not have regular time off. They are the great vacationless class."
-- Anne Morrow Lindbergh

"The mother's heart is the child's schoolroom."
-- Henry Ward Beecher

"What the mother sings to the cradle goes all the way down to the coffin."
-- Henry Ward Beecher

"The heart of a mother is a deep abyss at the bottom of which you will always find forgiveness."
-- Honore' de Balzac

"Whatever else is unsure in this stinking dunghill of a world a mother's love is not."
-- James Joyce

"The phrase "working mother" is redundant."
-- Jane Sellman

"God could not be everywhere, and therefore he made mothers."
-- Jewish proverb

"The most important thing a father can do for his children is to love their mother."
-- Theodore Hesburgh (This one applies to my dad, but is still true.)

"A mother is the truest friend we have, when trials, heavy and sudden, fall upon us when adversity takes the place of prosperity when friends who rejoice with us in our sunshine, desert us when troubles thicken around us, still will she cling to us, and endeavor by her kind precepts and counsels to dissipate the clouds of darkness, and cause peace to return to our hearts."
--Washington Irving (This quote recalls to mind one specific instance in which I came home from school feeling very discouraged and disheartened by something that had happened. My mother's empathy for me at that time is one of my most cherised memories).

"Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children."
--William Makepeace Thackeray

"The hand that rocks the cradle is the hand that rules the world."
-- William Ross Wallace


And my personal favorite:

"The only thing a lawyer won't question is the legitimacy of his mother."
-- W. C. Fields

Thanks for all you've done for us mom! May your birthday be the best yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment