Friday, August 29, 2008

Gay Men and Gay Women hate each other?

So I'm going back to tenth grade, which is a long time ago, since I'm in college now. I don't know why I suddenly remembered this, but I thought I'd blog about it, just to hear your opinion.

Okay, I'm in a citizenship class with some of my friends. We are discussing gay and lesbian relationships with the community and leading the discussion is a guest speaker we have in school: a police officer. (Why we had a police officer in to talk about homosexuals, I have no idea.)

Anyway, so we're chatting about gays, and the officer comes up with the stupidest thing I ever heard. He says 'Gay men and gay women do not get along at all.' Someone next to me asks 'Why don't they?' The police officer replies 'They just don't. In gay bars, they stay away from each other.'

Annoyed by this, I put my hand up and say 'Well I get along
with gay men.' The police guy says 'But you're not a lesbian.' This left me even more pissed off with the guy, and I replied 'How do you know?' He then said 'I don't.' Then I just had to say 'Well I am a lesbian, and I have loads of gay male friends and get along with them just fine thanks.' Which then led to applause from all the gay and bisexual students in the room...

So I was looking for your opinion. Do gay men and lesbians generally not get along, or was the police guy just talking... well... crap? Do you have any homosexual male friends or is it some sort of stereotype for lesbians to steer clear of them?


Clearly the police officer wasn't as gay as this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment