Friday, July 4, 2008

Happy Day


I'm happy to report that I sucked it up yesterday and did my fifteen minutes of cleaning. Then I did lots more... and now my house is (relatively) clean. The best part is that Robert attacked our laundry pile while I did the kitchen and front room. It's such a motivator to me to have a partner in torture. Thanks, honey!
-
Yes, it's 6:25 a.m. I actually woke up at 5:20 a.m. by poking Robert and urgently whispering: "HURRY HURRY GET ME SOME BREAD PLEASE HURRY!!!" Yeah, good old morning sickness. Luckily he's a fast bread getter so all was well.
-
But then our cute not-so-little Bug woke up screaming, I thought because of the noise but later found out because Robert went in there after the bread incident, so I went in and put him back to bed. After that whole ordeal, I tossed for a half hour in bed and finally gave up. And here I am!!!

Happy 4th of July everyone. I love this country and I am sooooo grateful for it. I remember the first time I really appreciated being American; it was on my way to Ukraine, when I was fifteen. I was at an airport in I think Vienna (a layover), and the flight attendants were checking our passports (more like grilling our passports). Everyone in front of me endured a thorough, page-by-page inspection of passport, ID, ticket, everything. When it got to me, I held up my American passport to hand over. One glance at the American cover and they waved me through.
-
I was absolutely shocked. I admit I didn't look very imposing, being fifteen, and yes, still a brace-face, but it totally took my breath away. Every check was the same. At other checks, I recall there being other young people like myself... who would get "the grill"... but I would always just receive a glance and be passed through.
-
That experience made me appreciate the power and freedom of being from America. Times have definitely changed since then as far as airport security goes, but the fact remains that I am proud to be American, and I am grateful most especially for this country of freedom which allowed the gospel of Jesus Christ to be restored. I know that Joseph Smith was a prophet of God, and that the Restoration happened here for a reason, because it is a consecrated, free land.
-
Happy America Day all. May it be a good one!

(Where I'll be watching fireworks tonight... THE Mall. Yes, I am excited!)

No comments:

Post a Comment