Wednesday, January 24, 2007

"The Woman"


In high school, I directed a one-act Sherlock Holmes play called "A Scandal in Bohemia" and nicknamed it "The Woman," since the plot revolved around how Sherlock Holmes was finally outwitted by a beautiful woman.

I chose that nickname for today's post because I want to honor the woman who has helped me become who I am today: namely, my wife Jocelyn.

Although she has supported me vocally and bragged to her friends and family about me often when I have achieved something great, I don't think that Jocelyn has received the praise and thanks that she deserves. I wanted to let everyone know, for that reason, what a wonderful and powerful influence she has been in my life and of all the great things she has done and is doing.

First of all, Jocelyn is very sensitive to the spirit. She recognizes truth easily and has a strong desire to do what the Lord wants her to. When I was dating her, I remember thinking and feeling that she was a person I could trust to help me be my best and stay on the right path. I have not been disappointed.

Jocelyn encourages me (and us, as a family) to say prayers often--not just for morning and night prayers, but for anything that goes wrong. At first, I found praying for every little thing (like finding lost keys) tiresome . . . until I realized that every time we prayed for something, it worked out. Jocelyn helped me understand the true power of prayer.

Secondly, Jocelyn is a genius. When I ask for her help with an essay, she is able to pick out the main points and make them shine, even when I'm not really sure what I'm trying to do. She easily grasps complex ideas and makes them understandable. And she can see themes and meaning in works of art that are incredibly insightful. The other day, for example, she pointed out that in "Starry, Starry Night" by Vincent Van Gogh, the only building to touch the sky was the church, symbolizing a spiritual connection between heaven and earth. Also, her memory and knowledge of facts is remarkable. She can remember tiny details about our early relationship that have long escaped me. And she has an understanding of most current ideas and debates in politics, philosophy, science, art, and much more.

Thirdly, Jocelyn is a humble and dedicated worker. She's been working as an editor for a year and half to support our family. She doesn't care about being in the spotlight or receiving praise; she just does what is necessary to maintain a good home and to help our family financially. I know, too, that she's going to be an equally great mother, because I can already sense the love that she has for our little unborn child. I know she wouldn't ask to be publicly recognized for all that she has done and all that she means to me, but I feel she deserves it all the same.

Finally, Jocelyn has helped me to achieve my potential. I wouldn' be going to law school if it wasn't for her. She has helped me discover my abilities and has convinced me that I can do anything. I owe a lot to her, and I will be forever grateful.

(-Robert)

No comments:

Post a Comment