Monday, May 18, 2009

Stan Van Gundy Does the Sun Salutation


I got a WiiFit yesterday, so I'm basically a fitness expert now. My best skills are in the yoga portion of the game. I'm so good in fact, that many of my closest friends and family have taken to calling me yogi or yogin. It depends on if they use the contemporary English or not.

So when I saw that picture of Stan Van Gundy at last night's game 7 against the Boston Celtics, it was obvious to me that he had begun practicing either hatha or vinyasa styles. Sorry for all the "inside yoga" talk, but it's pretty clear that SVG is working on his fitness.

And can you blame him? Just from the surya-namaskar pose he's practicing here, he can expect the following benefits:

- Gets rid of constipation.
- Strengthens abdominal muscles.
- Tones up the nervous system and improves memory.
- Promotes sleep and calms anxiety.
- Refreshes the skin. Prevents Skin disorders.
- Improves muscle flexibility.
- Stimulates the breasts to help firmness. Restores any lost elasticity, through stimulation of glands and the strengthening of pectoral muscles.
- Prevents loss of hair and graying.
- Helps reduce fat.
- Reduces abnormal prominence of the Adam's apple.
- Eliminates unpleasant smells from the body.
- Lends grace and ease of movements to the body.
- Revives and maintains the spirit of youthfulness.
- Broadens chest and beautifies arms.
- Makes the spine and waist flexible.
- Produces health, strength, efficiency and longevity.

I'm no expert, but I'm pretty close, so I can safely say that this is only going to be good for Stan. He just needs to remember to think about stretching his spine and breathing deeply. Basic yoga, stuff, really. This is a 5,000 year old art, so I think they know what they're talking about.

No comments:

Post a Comment