Saturday, February 10, 2007

Peter Robert Gibbons








Here is the man of the hour---Peter Robert Gibbons, born at 6:22 p.m. on Friday, February 9th (which was our due date, crazily enough). He weighed 8 lbs. 8 oz., and measured in at 21 & 1/2 inches.
/
The woman of the hour was Jocelyn, who endured four days of difficult and painful contractions before finally going into active labor on Friday afternoon. She was dilated to a 5 by the time she was checked at the hospital, and within less than two hours, she had progressed to an 8. It was only then that she was given an epidural.
/
The baby's heart rate started to slow way down at this point; it recovered momentarily but then dipped down again and no amount of movement on Jocelyn's part would bring it back up. In a few moments, our mothers were rushed out of the room and several nurses and doctors were next to Jocelyn's bed. Before I knew it, I was signing a paper giving permission to the doctors to perform a C-section, which they did masterfully.
/
Hearing the baby's cry for the first time, as I sat behind the shield with my wife, was truly one of the greatest moments of my life. The doctors cleaned him up and let me hold him next to my wife's face so that she could see and kiss him. Then I wheeled him off to the nursery while they sewed Jocelyn back up.
/
Both baby and mother are doing excellently now. Jocelyn is constantly tired, and Peter is constantly hungry.
/
We are so grateful for this new addition to our family.
/
(-Robert)

No comments:

Post a Comment