Sunday, January 27, 2008

The Passing of a Prophet of God



Robert and I just found out that our beloved prophet and leader, President Gordon B. Hinckley, passed away this night. While this news has had me in tears because I will miss him and am sad to have him go, I am filled with joy as well that at age 97 he is able to move on and especially be with his dear wife, Marjorie.

To read the official announcement from The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, go here.

I want to add my witness to the many given that I know -- absolutely, no-doubt-about-it KNOW -- that Gordon B. Hinckley was a prophet of God. I do not use those words lightly, nor do I proclaim "knowledge" lightly. I cannot count the number of times President Hinckley has spoken directly to my own heart, giving me the guidance, strength, even solace that I needed. President Hinckley was a prophet; he spoke for Jesus Christ, our Master, and directed Christ's church.

I know that this work, the work of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, is the work of the Lord Jesus Christ. I know that it is His church. I know that Joseph Smith was a prophet of God as well. He did restore the fulness of Christ's gospel on the earth, through the inspiration, power, and authority of God. I know that the Book of Mormon is the true word of God. Most profound to me of all, I know that God is not only our Creator, but our Father. We are His children and he loves us, beyond understanding. He loves us not because we earn it or deserve it; just because we are His. We are His work and His glory, and I know He finds immense joy when we choose to follow His Son Jesus Christ; but even when we do not follow or we mess up, He still loves us, because we are His.

I truly do know these things are true. President Hinckley is a prophet of God. He has gone on to his dear wife and surely to the bosom of our Lord, whose servant he was. (-Jocelyn)

No comments:

Post a Comment